Monday 25 November 2013

Ode to Lieux de Memoire


This is an exhibition I had in June 2013 in Launceston, Tasmania. I was very happy with the outcome as I sold nearly all my work! It was such a wonderful experience to have a solo show outside of Hobart. The opening was a great success and there were lots of people who came to support me! Here are a few photos and an artist statement from the show:


Artist statement

From my perspective as a first-generation child of Polish migrants, this exhibition depicts an imagined landscape. Evoking senses of memory and loss, my aim has been to investigate the tensions between questioned identity and socio-cultural hybridity. With the intention to suggest an unfolding of narrative, the work performs as a theatre, responding to experiences from travelling through Europe last year. Heavily influenced by German Expressionist Cinematography, my monochromatic palette, interspersed with highlights of red, ultimately speaks of a ‘patriotic fantasy’. The protagonist evident throughout this exhibition acts as a traveller or lost seeker, referencing photographs of my great-grandmother from early twentieth century. As I endeavour to re-experience the imagined, literary and historic homeland, I refer to the words of historian Raphael Samuel, who declared, nostalgia is the sigh of the historically orphaned.

















No comments:

Post a Comment